Haydar Kadi Mosque in Bitola is located on the left side of Dragor River, near the former Sheep Market and still existing Deboj in Bitola. According to the preserved historical sources the mosque was built in 1561 – 62.
The project was made by the famous Turkish architect Sinan Mimar (Koca Mi’mâr Sinân Âğâ) and the building was funded by Haydar Kadi, who at the time was Kadi (Judge) in the Bitola (Monastir) region.
According to traveler writer Evliya Celebi in the seventeenth century, this mosque was considered one of the most beautifully decorated at the time. According some sources it was the only mosque in Bitola with two minarets.
The mosque was restored in 1890, and it is also known that before the visit of Sultan Reshad V in Bitola (Monastir) in 1911, many of the buildings in the city and all mosques were restored.
Haydar Kadi Mosque after the Balkan wars was no longer in use as a religious building and from then it was exposed to constant ruining.
Haydar Kadi Mosque is one of the most attractive monuments of Turkish construction in Bitola and it was recently renovated.
Hasan Baba Mosque is located in the Upper western outskirts of Bitola in Madzarmaale neighborhood, on the right side of the river Dragor.
During the nineteen-century Muslim refugees were settled in this area and it was known as the Muhacir mahallesi (Madžar maale, Маџар Мале). The mosque was erected in 1628- 1640, in the time of Sultan Murad IV (1623-1640).
Fazli Paşa, a commander of the Third Army in Manastır, renovated the mosque in 1883.
A few years ago the Islamic community started the renovation of the mosque building with the minaret, the mausoleum and the graveyard, which are surrounded with stonewall. There is another Bektaşi’s tekke in the vicinity.
Hadzi Mahmud Bey Mosque is located in Bitola old bazaar, close to the river Dragor.
In the times when Evliya Çelebi was in Bitola this part of the market belonged to the Turners (Çekrekçi) and to the Tailors, in the vicinity of the Horse market (At-pazar).
The mosque was built in 1521-22 and it was renovated in 1873.
The founder of the mosque and its complex was Haci Mahmud Bey, known in the town as ‘Tomruk Aga’ (The prison warder). He may have been one of the war heroes (Gazi) of Sultan Bayezit Han and for that reason he was appointed as governor of the town, which he ruled in a despotic manner.
The mosque was severely damaged during the First World War.
The minaret of the mosque collapsed during an earthquake in 1996.
Some parts of the mosque were reconstructed and renovated in 1991. It was supervised by the Institute for the Protection of the Monuments in Bitola. These days the mosque is used as a warehouse surrounded by shops.
Isak Mosque is largest and main mosque in Bitola, situated along the north bank of the Dragor River.
Built in 1506, the whole mosque complex was ideally situated between the government buildings, covered bazaar Bezisten and the Big Bridge to the other side of the river connecting it with the main street Sirok Sokak.
Isak Mosque – Bitola 1848 – Painting by Edward Lear
Popularly known as Ishakkiye, this monumental mosque was named after its founder, Judge Ishak Çelebi ibn Isa, son of Isa Fakıh.
After being a judge in Salonica for many years, Ishak Çelebi was appointed to the Kadi’s bench in Manastır (Bitola) where he moved with his family.
Today Isak mosque is a monument of culture of first category in Republic of Macedonia, which with its spectacular size and 50 meter high minaret dominates the area and can be seen from many sides of the city.
The complete mosque was recently restored by the Turkish International Agency for Cooperation and Development – TIKA.
Yeni Mosque in Bitola is located in the city center on the right side of the River Dragor near the Clock Tower. It was built by Kadi Mahmud Effendi in 1558-59, and in Bitola is known as Yeni (Turkish for – New) Mosque.
The base of the mosque is square, covered with a dome. Next to the mosque is a minaret, which reaches a height of over 40 m.
Yeni Mosque with Clock Tower and Pekmez Bazaar during the First World War
Until recently the premises of the mosque were used as art gallery, and later started archaeological research that showed that the mosque was built on the foundations of the old church of St. George, which existed at that place.
Today the archaeological surveys are completed, and Yeni Mosque is expected to be adapted again into an art gallery, but this time with a glass floor, through which could be seen the remains of the church St. George.