Clock Tower in Bitola on a postcard from 1908
Pekmez Bazaar in Bitola with the Clock Tower in 1915
„Around the Clock Tower until 1947 the “Pekmez market” was located as one of many markets that were in Bitola during the Turkish rule. “Pekmez Pazar” was the place where many oriental desserts could be found (baclava, kadaif, pekmez, and many other Turkish delights) and here also were housed the most beautiful inns, tea and pastry shops in Bitola.“
Clock Tower Bitola in 1917
The first dial and clock mechanism was made by the German company “Konfage” and was placed on the Clock Tower in 1927. The belfries were replaced with “sajdzhii” responsible for the clock mechanism; the dials were white with black numbers and hands.
In 1936. in gratitude for the construction of a German cemetery, as a gift from Germany, the clock mechanism was again replaced and also 15 bells, heavy 900 kg were placed. This mechanism was restored in 1962 and in 1970 a keyboard was set for performing the new compositions. Bitola Clock Tower is one of the 180 towers in the world which has such a mechanism.
With the beautifully arranged park in its environment, the Clock Tower is one of the most visited locations in Bitola for locals and also for a large number of tourists.