Isak Mosque is largest and main mosque in Bitola, situated along the north bank of the Dragor River.
Built in 1506, the whole mosque complex was ideally situated between the government buildings, covered bazaar Bezisten and the Big Bridge to the other side of the river connecting it with the main street Sirok Sokak.
Isak Mosque – Bitola 1848 – Painting by Edward Lear
View toward Isak Mosque H.Catenacci Bitola 1878
Jewish bazaar in Bitola with Isak Mosque 1915
Panorama of Bitola with Isak Mosque 1916
Popularly known as Ishakkiye, this monumental mosque was named after its founder, Judge Ishak Çelebi ibn Isa, son of Isa Fakıh.
After being a judge in Salonica for many years, Ishak Çelebi was appointed to the Kadi’s bench in Manastır (Bitola) where he moved with his family.
Today Isak mosque is a monument of culture of first category in Republic of Macedonia, which with its spectacular size and 50 meter high minaret dominates the area and can be seen from many sides of the city.
The complete mosque was recently restored by the Turkish International Agency for Cooperation and Development – TIKA.