Yeni Mosque in Bitola is located in the city center on the right side of the River Dragor near the Clock Tower. It was built by Kadi Mahmud Effendi in 1558-59, and in Bitola is known as Yeni (Turkish for – New) Mosque.
The base of the mosque is square, covered with a dome. Next to the mosque is a minaret, which reaches a height of over 40 m.
Yeni Mosque with Clock Tower and Pekmez Bazaar during the First World War
Until recently the premises of the mosque were used as art gallery, and later started archaeological research that showed that the mosque was built on the foundations of the old church of St. George, which existed at that place.
Today the archaeological surveys are completed, and Yeni Mosque is expected to be adapted again into an art gallery, but this time with a glass floor, through which could be seen the remains of the church St. George.