Open post Bukovo Monastery – Holy Transfiguration of Christ - near Bitola

Bukovo Monastery – Holy Transfiguration of Christ – near Bitola

Bukovo Monastery – Holy Transfiguration of Christ (Буковски Манастир) is located in a beautiful mountain area near the villages Bukovo and Krstoar in Bitola region.

The monastery history is very scant, but there are some data that suggest that it was built on the foundations of an older church.
The monastery church was built in 1837, in 1845 the monastery had two monks and in 1865 there was only one abbot.
Today the monastery is maintained by the local population.
In the middle of the monastery is located the church and from the old monastic enclosure walls and the main gate, only small portion was preserved. The old monastery lodgings were built southwest of the church, and they were recently renovated.
Due to the proximity of city of Bitola, the clean air and water and the picturesque mountain scenery, the monastery today is one of the most visited sites for picnic near Bitola.
The monastery was one of the favorite locations of the diplomatic corps in Bitola during Ottoman Empire, particularly the Russian Consul Alexander Arkadievich Rostkovski, who was killed by a Turkish soldier in 1903, when he was returning from the monastery in his residence in Bitola.

Bukovo Monastery – Holy Transfiguration of Christ - near Bitola

How to get to Bukovo Monastery
Up to the monastery leads an asphalt road through the village Krstoar and “Krstoar Monastery” in length approximately 6 km (3.7 miles) from Bitola. Much of this road (4km) is paved and is in relatively good condition, up to Krstoar Monastery. The rest of the road with a length of 2 km is a dirt road, which is in relatively good condition.
Also the monastery can be reached by foot (~ 20 min) through Bukovo village up to which also leads an asphalt road.

Photos: Macedonia Postcards

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola
Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Holy Transfiguration of Christ - Bukovo Monastery – Bitola

 

Open post Manastir Krstoar, Bitola

Krstoar Monastery near Bitola

Monastery St. Christopher in Krstoar village near Bitola is one of the more famous monasteries in this part of Republic of Macedonia.

Up to the monastery leads an 4 km asphalt road which runs through the village Krstoar. In the village the road is narrow (less than 3 meters) and is not recommended for wider vehicles as buses.

Krstoar Monastery near Bitola

Krstoar Monastery near Bitola Due to the proximity of city of Bitola, the clean air and water and the picturesque mountain scenery, the monastery today is one of the most visited sites for picnic near Bitola.

Monastery St. Christopher in Krstoar village near Bitola
Monastery St. Christopher in Krstoar village near Bitola
Monastery St. Christopher in Krstoar village near Bitola
Monastery St. Christopher in Krstoar village near Bitola
Monastery St. Christopher in Krstoar village near Bitola
Monastery St. Christopher in Krstoar village near Bitola
Open post Catholic Church - Sacred Heart of Jesus Bitola

Catholic Church

The Catholic Church “Sacred Heart of Jesus” is located in Bitola city center on the main street Shirok Sokak.
In the middle of XIX century in Bitola were opened numerous consular offices and many foreign officials, merchants and members of their families, came in the city. The increased number of Catholic believers, required constant presence of priest, who would take care of the spiritual needs of the population, spiritual and school education of children and other believers.

This situation contributed in 1848 to be appointed permanent pastor whose stay in Bitola was quite short.

French Lazarists played the most important role in the establishment of the first Catholic Parish in Bitola in 1856. Founder of the Parish was Father Jean-Joseph Lepavek who after his arrival took full care of the spiritual life of the believers. He in 1857 from the “valy” of Bitola – Redzep Pasha bought the hotel Locanda, which was located on Main Street “Shirok Sokak”, and was built for the Turkish army.

Joseph Lepavek made a small chapel where on Easter 1857 he served the first Divine Liturgy, and the chapel was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Catholic mission had great support from the French Consulate which on different ways supported its work. With the strengthening of the Parish for the needs of their faithful, the Catholic Church was built, together with other facilities.
In the next period were opened within the Parish school and boarding.
In 1870 year on the present location on Main Street (Shirok Sokak) was built a new Catholic church. This church built in Baroque style in 1900 was burned in a fire.

The Main street Rue Hamidie Shirok Sokak Bitola with Catholic church 1907

The Main street Rue Hamidie Shirok Sokak Bitola with Catholic church 1907

The Main street Rue Hamidie Shirok Sokak Bitola with Catholic church 1907

The Main street Rue Hamidie Shirok Sokak Bitola with Catholic church 1907

The Main street Shirok Sokak, Bitola 1908

The Main street Shirok Sokak Bitola 1908

On its place in 1909 today’s Catholic Church was built in the Gothic French style.
Architectural plan for the construction of the Catholic Church was designed by French architect, but realized by the Macedonian masters.
The interior of the church consists of three altars, a large number of icons and statues of different sizes, baptistery and benches for worshipers.

Shirok Sokak Bitola with Catholic church in 1916

Shirok Sokak Bitola with Catholic church in 1916
The main altar of wood in Gothic German style was made in Munich, Germany. The other two smaller altars are made in French Gothic style. The new altar and the wellspring made the walnut in 1975, and it was made by one of the most famous Macedonian engravers George Karadzov (Ѓорѓи Караџов).
The most dominant of all the statues is the statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which is located in the center of the altar.
The church tower was built between 1938 – 1940, and was a gift from Slovenian believers.
Today the Catholic Church, continues to serve the believers in the Bitola region, proudly standing also as one of the main city tourist attractions in Bitola.

Catholic Church Bitola - interior

Shirok sokak Bitola with Catholic church

Open post Saint Dimitrij church in Bitola

St. Dimitrij Church in Bitola

The church St. Dimitrij in Bitola was built in 1830, replacing the former old burnt chapel from 1726.

Built with special permission of the Turkish authorities, the church supposed to be modest and nondescript building, lower than the surrounding mosques.

Therefore, it was dug into the ground and is was built in just four months with donations from Bitola Christians.

The interior of the church is richly played with fascinating galleries in the second floor, Carved throne, carved iconostasis and pulpit.
The Iconostasis originates from the middle of the XIX century and was made in shallow carving, later cast and gilded. The belfry originates from 1936 and was the work of Alexander Deroko (Александар Дероко).
Today the church St. Dimitrij is the central church in Bitola, and it hosts the largest number of weddings, christenings and is the central place for all major Christian holidays.

Saint Dimitrij Church in Bitola, Macedonia

Saint Dimitrij Church in Bitola, Macedonia

Saint Dimitrij Church in Bitola, Macedonia

Saint Dimitrij Church in Bitola, Macedonia

Saint Dimitrij Church in Bitola, Macedonia

Iconostasis - Saint Dimitrij Church in Bitola (Св. Димитрија Битола)

Scroll to top