The First World War began in Europe on July 28, 1914 and lasted until November 11, 1918. The Macedonian front, which was also known as Thessaloniki (Salonika) Front, extended from the Strymonian Gulf (Aegean Sea) to the Adriatic Sea at a length of about 600 km. The frontline went through four countries: Albania, Greece, Bulgaria and then Serbia, which included the territory of today’s Republic of Macedonia.
Some of the decisive battles on the Macedonian front occurred in Mariovo region, which had serious consequences on the civilian population due to famine, diseases and military actions.
Today in Mariovo region there is large quantity of remains and memorabilia from that period, and many stories about the “struggle” of the civilian population during the war and in the postwar period.
This one-day educational excursion aims to convey these stories, but also offers you an unforgettable one-day experience through the picturesque landscapes of Mariovo – the least populated region in Macedonia.
- Type of tour: Jeep excursion / Jeep safari
- Pick up/drop of location: Bitola (hotel, parking lot,…)
- Difficulty: Easy, recommended for everyone
- Dates: On demand / spring, summer and autumn
- Duration:~ 8-10 hours
- Altitudes: Bitola 615 m, locality Lakite 1015 m
- 09.00 h – Departure from a previously agreed location in Bitola
- Short break near “Elevation 1050”
- Tourist drive through Municipality of Novaci
- Short break at a picturesque location near the village of Staravina
- Visit of trenches and bunkers in Staravina village
- Visit to the church of St. Demetrius in Gradeshnitsa village (XIV c.) The only object in this village that was not ruined during the war, although was directly hit by a grenade.
- Visit to the Zovich village, bunkers near the village and the private museum collection in the Ethno house “At the Bridge”.
- Free activities (possibility of visiting the Movie Bridge near the village)
- ~ 16:00 – arrival in Bitola
• Transport with 4 x 4 terrain vehicle
• Organization and realization of the trip
• travel insurance
• Food, drinks and other individual costs
• Pregnant women and guests who have problems with neck, back, other health problems or allergies are advised to consult a doctor regarding their participation in jeep excursions.
• If you are allergic or if you need some medication, keep in mind that all jeep tours are on locations outside of urban areas.
• Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Pick up / Drop off location
• The excursions start/end from a previously agreed location in Bitola city (hotel, parking, etc.)
Recommended clothing and footwear and equipment:
• Proper clothing and footwear. In some locations there is a high grass, insects and everything else that nature can offer. If you plan short walks in nature, it is necessary to wear appropriate clothing.
• Sunglasses with UV filter
• Sun Protection Cream (recommended above SPF 30)
• Insect repellent
• Digital Camera
• Snacks/Food/ beverages – The excursion does not include food and drinks. On some locations there is drinkable spring water, but there is no place where you can buy food. It is recommended that each participant carries with him sufficient amount of food for his daily needs.
Food and beverages
• Not included
• Please keep the environment clean. Any environmental pollution is strictly forbidden and punishable by law.
Changes to the program and cancellation of the excursion
- The organizer has the right to amend the program in case of Force majeure or extraordinary circumstances that he could not foresee, avoid or remove.
- If it has previously been paid for the excursion, the travel participant has the right to refund the amount for unrealized services or an appropriate replacement.
- The organizer is obliged to inform the participant in due time about any changes.